Finding an easy way to clean your oven can be difficult!
Today, we share some of the best ways to clean your oven without having to use much force or chemicals! It is important when doing any big spring clean that you tackle your oven, even though it is one of those extra tough spots. But, come on, we can do it!
Here are a few tips that will get your oven squeaky clean using products you probably have at home!
1. Bicarbonate of Soda Method
- Heat your oven gently and allow to cool down.
- When the oven is just warm, add enough water to a cup of bicarbonate of soda to make a thin paste.
- Apply the paste thinly to the walls of your oven, avoiding any elements.
- Place some vinegar in a spray bottle, and spray the bicarbonate of soda on the oven walls. They should react, cleaning the oven walls.
- Let the mixture sit for an hour or so to do it’s thang.
- Then take a damp cloth and gently wipe the mixture off.
- The bicarbonate of soda will break down the grease and grime and make it easy to remove!
2. Bowl of Hot Water Method
Using steam to clean your oven is even easier than the above method. It is good for a relatively clean oven, but if you have a lot of grease, you may need to try something a bit stronger.
- Place a large, oven proof container full of water into your oven on the lowest rack.
- Turn the oven onto the highest setting and ‘bake’ for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Allow the oven to cool (without opening the door).
- Then using a damp cloth, wipe the oven down. The steam will loosen any grime and will just wipe away!
3. The Gumption Method
The best way to keep your oven racks so shiny you could do your make-up in them, is to use Gumption! We love this stuff at Stay at Home Mum! It can pretty much clean anything. It uses a special soap formulation that breaks down grime and gently removes dirt particles for a thorough clean and a sparkling finish.
Just add some Gumption to a damp cloth or sponge, then gently wipe it around your whole oven, concentrating on the baked on grease. Get another clean damp sponge or cloth and wipe all the Gumption residue and grease off. That’s it!
Tips to Keeping Your Oven Looking Good
- Place a large baking dish on the rack below whatever you are cooking, this will catch any overflows etc and can just be popped in the dishwasher afterwards.
- If your oven racks fit into the dishwasher (and they are stainless steel) – pop them in on the hottest setting. The heat and suds will clean any grime or spots. If your racks are really stained, you may have to do this twice!
- Keep the outside of your oven looking clean by investing in a good quality microfibre cloth.
What do you use to clean your oven? Are you a water and elbow grease kind of girl? Or do you prefer to use chemicals?
How to Get Your Greasy Oven Racks Clean
Half fill your bathtub with hot water. Add a capful of Napisan, and mix well. Submerge your greasy oven racks into the hot water and allow to sit for about an hour. Then remove, rinse well and let them dry in the sun. They will be sparkling clean!
This method is also really great for greasy rangehood filters.